Instructions to qualified candidates for in-person interviews for admission to the Research programmes in the Mechanical Engineering Department @ IISc during May 23 – 27, 2022
ME Office contact details for interview candidates in case of emergencies during the interview: +91 – 80 – 2293 2332
- The in-person interviews will be conducted at the Mechanical Engineering Department, IISc Bengaluru from May 23 – 27, 2022.
- The candidates can refer to their interview call letter (downloadable from the admissions portal) for the day and session (forenoon/afternoon) of their interview and plan accordingly.
- All candidates having interviews in the forenoon should report to the ME office by 9 am and those having interviews in the afternoon should report to the ME office by 2 pm.
- Please bring a hard copy of your application form
- The ME office will verify your identity and check your eligibility documents.
- The eligibility documents are needed to check whether you have qualified under the mode of entry you have been shortlisted.
- GATE score card, ME/MTech degree or marks card, BTech degree certificate or marks card showing a CGPA of 8.0 or above.
- Please wait till the interview committee calls.
Format of the interview process
- Each candidate will be interviewed for about 30 mins in total.
- Interview begins with a very brief conversation about the candidates’ background and prior experience, if any. If you have/pursuing masters some details on your M.Tech project might be asked.
- The candidates will be asked to choose one or two broad areas of undergraduate-level Mechanical Engineering in which he/she wants to be questioned. The typical areas are: Solid mechanics, Fluid Mechanics, Thermal Engineering, Dynamics, Design and Materials.
- In that area, typically a small problem will be asked. The candidates have to solve it on the black board. More questions/clarifications will be asked from the candidates while the problem is being solved or after that is solved. This will be followed-up with more questions.
- You might be queried on the second area of preference, if necessary.
- A basic mathematics question may also be asked.