Professor (Emeritus) & AICTE Distinguished Chair Professor & INSA Honorary Scientist
PhD, Indian Institute of Science, 1971
M.E (Internal Combustion Engg.), Indian Institute of Science, 1968
B.Sc. (Mechanical Engg.), Punjab University, Chandigarh, 1966
+91 80 2293 2303 / 9945278551
Industrial and Automotive Noise Control
Acoustics of Ducts and Mufflers
Taught the following courses every year upto 2015:
- ME 258: Acoustics of Ducts and Mufflers (Jan)
- ME 248: Industrial Noise Control (Aug)
Journal – 213, Conference – 145, Patent Disclosures – 2, Copyright – 1, Books – 3, Chapters in Handbooks: 5
- Acoustics of Ducts and Mufflers – Second Edition, John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, UK, 2014
- Noise and Vibration Control, World Scientific Publishers (in collaboration with IISc Press), Singapore, 2013
Selected Recent Publications
- M. L. Munjal, “Theory and design of the double-tuned coaxial and flow reversal mufflers: A new perspective” Journal of The Institution of Engineers (India): Series C, June 2020. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40032-020-00594-3.
- M. L. Munjal, “Tuning a two-chamber muffler for wide-band transmission loss” International Journal of Acoustics and Vibration, 25(2), pp. 248-253, June 2020.
- C. D. Gaonkar, D. R. Rao, K. M. Kumar and M. L. Munjal, “End corrections for double-tuning of the same-end inlet-outlet muffler”, Applied Acoustics, 159, February 2020. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apacoust.2019.107116.
- V. Ram Kumar and M. L. Munjal, “Plane wave frequency domain analysis of resonance free pipes with moving medium”, Noise Control Engineering Journal, 67(6), pp. 467-482, November-December 2019.
- K. M. Kumar and M. L. Munjal, “Direct estimation and experimental validation of the acoustic source characteristics of turbocharged diesel engine exhaust system”, Applied Acoustics, 149, pp. 171-180, June 2019.
- C. D. Gaonkar and M. L. Munjal, “Theory of the tuned side-inlet axial-outlet muffler”, The Journal of Acoustical Society of India, 45(4), pp. 195-200, 2018.
- C. D. Gaonkar and M. L. Munjal, “Theory of the double-tuned side-inlet side-outlet muffler”, Noise Control Engineering Journal, 66(6), pp. 489-495, November-December 2018.
- K. M. Kumar and M. L. Munjal, “On development of rational design guidelines for large side-inlet side-outlet perforated element mufflers”, Noise Control Engineering Journal, 66(4), pp. 308-323, July-August 2018.
- K. M. Kumar and M. L. Munjal, “Direct estimation and experimental validation of the acoustic source characteristics of two-cylinder naturally aspirated diesel engine exhaust system”, Applied Acoustics, 135, pp. 70-84, 2018.
Industrial Interaction & Professional Services
As former Chairman of the National Committee for Noise Pollution Control, the nominee has been educating the industry (through invited lectures and short-term courses) about noise control at the source and designing for quietness, in order to satisfy the international limits on environmental noise as well as the product or machinery noise.
- Member, Editorial Board of the International Journal of Acoustics and Vibration, since 1996.
- Convener, Facility for Research in Technical Acoustics (FRITA).
- President, Acoustical Society of India, 1999-2000.
- Chairman, Expert Committee for Airport Noise Control, 2010-2014.
- Chairman, National Committee for Noise Pollution Control, 1997-2015.
- Have carried out more than 100 consultancy projects.
- Member, Research Council of Nelson Industries, Wisconsin, 1988-1991.
- Member, Board of Directors of the International Institute of Acoustics and Vibration, 1995-2001.
- Member, Editorial Board of the Indian Journal of Engineering and Material Science, since 2001.
- Member, Editorial Board of the Proceedings of the European Academy of Sciences, 2003-2005.
- Member, Science and Engineering Research Council of DST, New Delhi, 1995-1998 and 2004-2007.
- Member, Technology Advisory Board of CSIR, 1994-1998.
- Member, Board of Research of AICTE, 1994-1997.
- Vice President, Indian National Science Academy, 2011-2013.
- Member, Governing Council of the Indian National Academy of Engineering, 2015-2017.
Honors and Awards
- Jai Krishna Memorial Award 2013 of the Indian National Academy of Engineering in recognition of “sustained excellence with ethics”.
- Jawaharlal Nehru National Award in Engineering and Technology for the year 2010, Government of Madhya Pradesh, for “significant contributions to Noise Pollution Control”.
- Honorary Fellowship of the International Institute of Acoustics and Vibration, 2010, for “Outstanding contributions to scientific knowledge in acoustics, noise and vibration”.
- DRDO Academic Excellence Award 2009 at the hands of the Hon’ble Prime Minister of India, Dr. Manmohan Singh for “Significant contributions in the analysis and design of stealth linings for submarines, and silencing systems for turbines”.
- Sir C. V. Raman award for the year 2007 for the best contributed paper in the Journal of the Acoustical Society of India.
- Professor S. Bhagwantham Award of the Acoustical Society of India, for the years 2005–06.
- G. P. Chatterjee Memorial Lecture Award of the Indian National Science Academy, 2006.
- Mira Paul Memorial Award of the Acoustical Foundation for Education and Charitable Trust (AFECT), India, 2000.
- S. Narayanan Memorial Lecture Award of the Acoustical Society of India, 1995.
- Professor Rustom Choksi Award for Excellence in Research for Engineering, 1995.
- Distinguished International Member, Institute of Noise Control Engineering (USA), since 1988. “The status of Distinguished International Member is conferred by the Board of Directors upon eminent, overseas acousticians who have made significant contributions to the theory and/or practice of noise control engineering”. The nominee is the only Indian so far to be conferred with this honour.
- The Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for the year 1986, awarded by the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, India, for “Outstanding Contributions to Engineering Sciences”, and received at the hands of the Hon’ble Prime Minister of India, Mr. Rajiv Gandhi.
- The 1983 Nelson Acoustical Paper Award (First prize), Wisconsin, S.A.
- Sir C. V. Raman award of the Acoustical Society of India for the best contributed paper during the years 1980-81.
- The Science Academy Medal for Young Scientists for the year 1975, awarded by the Indian National Science Academy, for “Significant Contributions to Noise Control and Vehicle Dynamics”, and received at the hands of the Hon’ble Prime Minister of India, Mrs. Indira Gandhi.
Fellowships of Academies/Institutes
- Fellow, Indian National Science Academy.
- Fellow, Indian Academy of Sciences.
- Fellow, Indian National Academy of Engineering.
- Fellow, National Academy of Sciences (India).
- Distinguished International Member, Institute of Noise Control Engineering (USA).
- Member, European Academy of Sciences (EurASc).
- Honorary Fellow, International Institute of Acoustics and Vibration.
- Fellow, Acoustical Society of India.